Thursday, March 12, 2009

Since last we spoke: Part 3

Release!

Through six weeks I went to PT religiously, did my exercises at home and scaled back my overall activity as not to aggravate the injury...and it finally paid off.

Last week I received the green light to resume normal activity.  I need to continue the band exercises at home and I need to ramp up at a controlled pace but I'm allowed to run on back to back days and I'm eyeing new races.  I regret not having gone to therapy last fall, but at least I didn't wait until June and miss most of the summer.  Dr. Steve did all the tests that he did on me when I first arrived at his door and the motion had significantly reduced and my range of motion and strength were both almost normal!  Yeah Dr. Steve!  If you live in the Boston area I cannot recommend the good folks at SMART Physical Therapy enough. 

To celebrate my progress I immediately went out and overdid it.  On Saturday I took an old pair of GoLite Sun Dragons, turned them into screw shoes and did my 7 mile round trip to Winnekenni, 4 miles of which are on trails (slushy, slippery trails this time of year).  Having not run on trails since before my injury I was definitely pushing it, but much like a sober crack head indulging in that first hit in a long time...it felt oh so good.   My ankle seemed to survive my jump into poor judgement and I'm excited to focus on training and racing and not recovering.  This weekend I'm planning on signing up for the XTERRA Muddy Moose 14 miler up in NH.  Really can't wait.  I'm not even bummed that I'm missing the Fells 50K.  There will be plenty of other opportunities to do a race like that, I'm just stoked that I'm on the path to recovery (knock on wood).

More to come...I'm making a career change and there's a fun story that goes along with that too.

No comments: