Monday, October 20, 2008

Back in the Saddle

The past few weeks have been hard, no question.  I remember when my pal Tiff sprained her ankle and I kept telling her not to worry about it, enjoy the time off, blah, blah, blah...little did I know how bad it sucks.

I got out on the road bike this past weekend and I realized a couple of things.  One, I'm in bad biking shape.  I've been off of the road ride for some time and it was very apparent when I got out there.  And two, It's going to be at least two more weeks before I'm back to running.  While the familiar feeling of tired legs was kicking so was the realization of how unresponsive my ankle is.  I'm skipping all workouts today and I'm going to ice it tonight...baby steps.  

I did register for the Fells Trail Race spring 50k.  Mentally it's helped me remember that I'll be able to do the things I love soon.  It's keeping me from getting down on the lack of cardio.  Working out in the gym has been great.  It's rebuilding my base and I've put on a few pounds of muscle.  But nothing gives you that "whupped" feeling (in a good way) like running or riding.  So I'll be back in the gym tomorrow and the rest of the week, and back on the bike this weekend.  I'm in Phoenix in two weeks and I'm hoping to get in some mountain biking out there and by the time I'm back from that trip...maybe I'll be able to start road running...hope...I hear it's a good thing.

1 comment:

Tarah said...

I'm sorry, 50K? Crikey!