Sunday, September 7, 2008

Derailed?

Pretty sure I've mentioned this here before but now I'm actually worried. A few weeks ago I thought I had a pinched nerve in my foot as there was a pain there that went away after a day or two. This was following the 15 mile run that started my disdain for the GoLite Versa Force and eventually led me back to my Sun Dragons. Well, the pain has persisted, particularly after longer (10+) mile runs. I didn't think much of it as after a day or two of rest the pain would subside, never completely, but enough so that I wouldn't really notice it when I walked or even run short distances.

This morning, after yesterday's ten, I started browsing around online. We've all become qualified doctor's afterall in the age of the internet (I'm pretty sure my wife is about to open her own practice: True/WebMD) and I found this on www.orthoinfo.aaos.org when I Google'd 'stress fracture foot':
  • Symptoms:
    Pain that develops gradually, increases with weight-bearing activity, and diminishes with rest
    Pain that becomes more severe and occurs during normal, daily activities
    Swelling on the top of the foot or the outside of the ankle
    Tenderness to touch at the site of the fracture
    Possible bruising

Yeah, I pretty much meet all of those symptoms. I haven't noticted much bruising, but everything else is dead on. Especially point numero uno, with the pain diminishing with rest.

Ugh. I was really mentally prepared for the 23k this weekend, but if my little doctor work is on target and I keep running I could potentially fracture my foot. This sucks...I think I'll stop running entirely this week, hit the gym religously and plan a few big days on the mountain bike and see how it goes from there. I'm very tempted to take the risk and do the race, but I need to be smart and not find myself on the DL any longer than I need to be. Pissed off is not a strong enough phrase for how angry I am...how about Fucking Agitated.

I swear this year is cursed. I ended 2007 in the best shape I'd ever been in, and between injury and disease I've had an awful 2008. Hopefully that means I've paid my dues and 2009 becomes an epic year, but I'm not holding my breath. The worst thing I can do right now is believe that it's all related, because it's not. Shit like this happens. Hell, look at Ken Griffey, Jr. Talk about a string of bad luck. I really shouldn't be complaining. But disappointment, is disappointment regardless of what it is that you're disappointed about.

I'm rambling. I'm in the gym tomorrow...hopefully they'll let me use the spin bikes.


No comments: