Saturday, September 6, 2008

Viva la Sun Dragon!

Yep, I'm back in the old school Sun Dragons and they are treating me much better than those awful Versa Force's. Down with posting in Trail Runners say I!

Last weekend was pretty fun. We were up on Lake Winnipesaukee so on Saturday Carli and I went running on Mt. Major. This tiny mtn on the south side of the big lake is a popular summer hiking spot. It's only 1780' tall, but the trailhead sits at 780' and the trail is straight up over about a mile and a half. So you gain the 1000' in elevation really quickly. Also, the trail is pretty much either loose gravel and baby heads or slabs of granite and cliffs. So for it's small stature, Mt. Major has its challenges. I hadn't been doing too much work on hills so this was a great way to test the legs and lungs. I made it up and down in about 35 minutes and I"m pretty happy with that. I did have to take a few breathers and walk a bit of the uphill, but I hadn't done anything this steep since Brooks and I ran up Bear Peak in Boulder last December. Carli did well also, making it to just below the final slabs before meeting up with me and running back out. The trail is ankle turner city so we were both happy to come through with no injuries.

On Sunday we went mountain biking at Bear Brook State Park in Allenstown, NH. BBSP is a known mountain bike hot spot and man did this place deliver. The trails are super fun. Fast and flowy, especially for New England, with lots of quick technical steeps to challenge you, but always turning back down so that you don't lose too much momentum. I cannot wait to get back to Bear Brook and put in a full day. We didn't have much time as my folks were watching Lily so we needed to beat it back to the lake.

On Monday, Labor Day, we came home and I did my standard 8 mile trail run from the house. I was slow, being pretty sore from Mt. Major, but it was a great way to cap off the weekend.

Today, we've been waiting for Tropical Storm Hanna to make it's appearance in New England. While it didn't rain most of the day, the humidity was off of the charts. If the sun had been out, I really would have given pause to running today. Just being outside made you sweat. I spaced out in prep to do my triple lap 15 mile run and didn't bring any Gu or Clif Shots with me and with the heat and humidity the way it was I definitely would have bonked had I attempted the third lap. Still 10 miles was good given that a week from tomorrow is the Pisgah 50k/23k trail running race. I'm going to attempt the 23k so I should begin tapering anyway. I'd like to get in a decent day tomorrow, take my standard Monday day off and log 3-5 miles on Tue-Friday before resting again on Saturday before the race on Sunday. Should be a blast.

No comments: