Monday, November 2, 2009

Off season...

Okay, so I swear I'm not going to start whining about my ankle again, but know that I'm still fuggin' dealing with it. Argh.

So, I'm in full off season mode. Which means fitting in gym workouts while consciously trying to beat my sweet tooth into submission during a season when candy and baked goods rule supreme clear through the end of the year. To that end I have sworn off sweets until Thanksgiving. Who doesn't like a challenge?
I've been getting to the gym somewhat regularly and in the name of endurance I purchased some goggles over the weekend in order to start swimming. Day one in the pool will be tomorrow. I'm looking forward to finishing the workout and having that sense of calm that arrives after a run, bike or swim. Nothing like that can be replicated in any other way. I see people who post on Facebook that they have insomnia problems and my response is always: "Start running". Go log a bunch of miles and you'll sleep like a baby.

Since I don't know what the long term holds for my ankle, I'm 100% focused on mountain biking for next year. Definitely some smaller races, but mostly two events: The Wildcat Epic 100 and the Hampshire 100. The Hampshire was my primary goal, I want to be a top five Sport finisher, but the Wildcat looks pretty sick. A two day stage race (each stage checking in at 50 miles) it sounds like a blast. It's the week before the Hampshire but I think I could pull it off. I mean, my boy Canice did Primal Quest this summer and after hearing about it, if I can't do 165 miles over the course of a week...how lame am I?

No comments: