Sunday, August 10, 2008

A chewed up puppy and a long(er) run



Crazy day today. This morning while taking the dogs out, Porter was off leash and ran out to greet some folks who were walking there dogs on the sidewalk. Well, one of their pups, an older Golden Retriever, wasn't too psyched about Porter's enthusiastic greeting and gave him what for. Totally our fault for having Porter off leash and the Golden was on leash. Porter ended up with about a three inch laceration on the left side of his face and had to be taken in for a slew of stitches. Poor guy had to go under to get them and now his looking like he survived a bar fight. Some lessons are learned the hard way I guess...for him and us both.

After the Porter Incident (as it's come to be known), I took advantage of a beautiful afternoon to do my double of the 4.5 mile loop at Winnekenni park. I parked my car and left a water bottle on windshield so I could grab a sip on my way by. The run went great. I actually felt my best during the second lap so that was very encouraging and after an off-day tomorrow (from running, still planning on hitting the gym tomorrow night), I'm going to do my morning run Tue/Wed/Thurs with another possbile off day on Friday, then do a triple of the same loop on Saturday. That should push my towards half-marathon distance and get me ready for the 10 miler in two weeks.

Overall this was a great last week. I mixed it up a bit yesterday by going out on the Mtn. bike instead of running and it was super fun. The trails are really wet right now from all the rain we've been getting so I was pretty well coated in mud by the time I finished up. I definitely miss biking more, but I'm feeling great about my running and it fits into the schedule the best. The majority of my down time belongs to Lily so running fits in great and it's somewhat of a relief to not have to train for multiple sports. To focus on one is refreshing. I'm sure my ADD will kick in in a few months and I'll be itching to focus on the bike, but for now as long as I mix in a bike ride here or there, my running is still a lot of fun...which is the point.

Also this weekend we hit up an organic pick-your-own farm in Hamilton. The wet weather hasn't treated them very well and the only things they had for picking on your own were string beans and herbs. We indulged and picked a full bag, than bought the rest of our weekly produce at their farm stand which had tons of veggies that they had grown by organic means on the farm. Lily got to feed tomatoes to the farm's pigs, and we saw a ton of turkeys (sure to be gracing a table near you this November). Felt good to support a local farm with the major pay off being that the veggies we bought will taste awesome and fresh.

**Note: our camera died. Hence the lack of current photos recently. We'll be getting a new one in a few weeks, but wanted to call that out. I'll continue to post older pics just so my posts aren't so boring.**

No comments: