Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tough Weekend

So the plan heading into the weekend was to run in the Moose on the Loose 10 mile trail run. However with a sick kid I started to think about skipping it, but at my wife's urging I figured I should go and run. I checked out the races website to print off a registration form and I checked out the race course. Turns out it is a fairly flat, mostly double track 2.5 mile loop that you just run four times. Now not to sound like an elitist, but this race was supposed to be just a step towards the 23k that I want to do in three weeks. To be honest, I knew I'd get a greater challenge doing my normal runs locally, so I decided to bail and save the $20. Yeah, I know sorta weak, but I definitely made the right choice.

Yesterday I headed out to do a repeat of the 15 mile run I did last weekend. I was feeling a little worn, but not too bad. During the first 5 milesI fell apart. My legs felt heavy and sore and I had no jump at all. Looking back on the week I determined that I hadn't been eating enough, or even the right things. Not nearly enough protein or veggies and indulging a bit too much in the sweets category. I also felt dehydrated. I got back to the car and went home. I stretched, ate a protein heavy dinner as well as a balanced fruit/carb/proten pre-bedtime snack. I drank a ton of water and went to bed around 8:45. Needless to say, today I felt better.

I didn't push the 15 miles today, but I did 10 and felt a hell of a lot better than I did yesterday. My wife and I are doing the vegetarian thing, and while it hasn't affected me that much when I eat what I'm supposed to, when I go away from what works at all, it seems to really hurt. My goal the next two weeks is to keep track on my day to day eating and see how I feel when running the next day. The plan for next weekend is a challenging hill workout up on Mt. Major on Lake Winnipesaukee, a full day of mountain biking on Sunday followed by a long run on Monday. Than taper towards the 23k. Updates to follow.

No comments: